Psalm 23:4 - Pit Bull Translation

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for I am the baddest dog in the valley"

Friday, April 2, 2010

Open Mouth Insert Foot....

You know I never know when to shut up. Along with the malfunctioning filter that runs between my brain and my mouth, I often get myself in trouble. Okay, trouble might be too strong of a word, but I can definitely annoy some people.

Two things today showed that there have been no improvements for me in these areas. First, today was our monthly Afternoon with the Arts. It's a home school thing we do where the kids get to each show off something they did or can do. Like artwork, poetry and playing a musical instrument. They have to do it in front of an audience. Then afterward we have high tea for the kids, with finger food, and do a quick etiquette lesson. You know the whole shebang, cloth napkins, real china tea cups, place cards and practicing making small talk. Okay, I know, I know, I digressed. Eventually you'll get used to it. So anyway, who shows up today but the Girl Scout Leader who I previously had issue with. She has been avoiding me since our little to-do. I walk in the door and she's standing right there. She looks like a deer trapped in a snare, she wants to run but can't without being a total ass. So instead of saying a quick hi and letting her escape I make small talk. Forcing her to stay and talk to me for a few moments. It is probably the worst 3 minutes of her day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. After I let her go she was very careful to avoid me the rest of the afternoon. I knew I accomplished what I set out to do. Oh, the small things that bring me joy.

The other thing didn't bring me joy, in fact it bummed me out. I'm not sure what to do with this one. While on the road today we called IT Guy to wish him a happy birthday. After the traditional singing of Happy Birthday on speaker phone by the kids I take the phone. During the conversation I apologize for backing out of having him and his family over for our Passover Seder that I canceled due to an unexpected marathon shift at work. He said no problem and then tells me he doesn't even think we need to invite him over for it since they don't understand or contribute to the seder and they are not raising their kids Jewish. I let him know that he's stuck doing these things since he's the only local family I have. We have cousins out of state who sometimes make it but they can't always. Besides the whole reason for the seder is to tell the story and to learn. Every time I go to or have a seder I learn something new. So he agrees and sees my point. But could I stop there, no I couldn't. I had to open my mouth and continue on. I said I wanted them to be familiar with our traditions, especially his kids so they would understand their cousins religion. Especially since we are practicing Jews. It's hard enough when strangers have no clue about your religion or traditions but to have family members in the same boat is somehow worse. I could hear it in his voice. His discomfort level went up a couple of notches. Even though I have assured him numerous times that how he raises his kids is their decision and not a concern of mine I still get the feeling that he is not comfortable even talking about their choices. I know it's a sensitive issue for him so why don't I quit while I'm ahead. I don't know, maybe it's leftover Jewish Mother Guilt or something but I wish I could get it through his head that I just want them to join us and be a part of it because it's important to my family and we want them to share it with us and nothing more.

Two sides of the same coin. Will I ever learn to control it?

2 comments:

  1. I see nothing wrong with the way you brought it up. IT Guy is probably going to squirm regardless until 1, HE is feeling guilt-free and non-defensive about it; and 2, he SEES that you are not offended by his and the Doc's decision on how they're raising their children.

    I understand what you wanted from IT Guy. I think it's good for kids to understand a little bit about what others do. If it helps, you can tell him my kids' catholic school actually held a Seder last week. I don't know how historically accurate it was, but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, I need to amend or clarify something I said up there.

    I make IT Guy sound like a butthead regarding feeling "guilt free and non-defensive." That's not what I was trying to do. (And I can't stand the fact that it took me a week to notice! UGH!)

    I suspect he'll always have a flicker of guilt or doubt or something over not raising his children in the faith that brought him up. To contradict this part of his upbringing must feel a bit like betraying your mother.

    What he did was follow tradition, and that's raising the children in the mother's faith. I don't know why that is, but it's been done this way for decades.

    Back in my late teens/early 20's, I was head-over-heels crazy about Jon. Jon and his family are devout Jews. I know I was very young then, but Jon was a bit older and approaching the mindset of "settling down."

    We'd had a few discussions about faith. I wanted to understand his even though I didn't clearly understand my own. At that time in my life, I was a solidly lapsed catholic.

    I didn't fully comprehend why he eventually broke up with me over my non-Jew status. I understand it now. It takes a whole lot of love and courage to turn from what you've known all your life and surrender that part of your history for your children. I don't think I could have done that for Jon, and he clearly knew then that he couldn't for me.

    Please accept my apology for being an a@@.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.