Psalm 23:4 - Pit Bull Translation

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for I am the baddest dog in the valley"

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Malka's Health-update

Yesterday I slid a dish under Malka as she squatted and retrieved a sample of golden liquid. I also got the over the shoulder look of disgust from her to which I have become accustomed.

This morning a call from our vet confirmed our fears. She continues to have a +3 protein reading. Her kidneys are failing. She is still asymptomatic so all news isn't bad but her kidney issue will not resolve itself. She also shows signs of having stones in her bladder so plenty of additional fluids will help the kidneys and dissolve the stone(s). There is no sign of infection or crystals and her PH and specific gravity are normal. All good signs.

There is the option of prescription diet but I gotta tell you after reading the ingredients there is no way. It is loaded with crap protein and fillers. And they have the nerve to charge an arm and a leg for it. I intend to do some research. There has to be some quality low protein foods out there. The vet also recommends adding additional carbs to her diet since it is a way to get her the extra calories her body will need to process protein without adding any additional load to her kidneys.

She still spry and can run Mickey into the ground. She can still do two miles on the bike barely breaking a pant. Squirrels and rabbits still fear for their lives in our yard. She is an American Pit Bull Terrier and true to her breeding she doesn't know the meaning of giving up.

She's not giving up and neither am I. We'll make some changes in her diet. Keep her fluid intake high and continue to make sure she gets plenty of exercise.

Right now she's right where she belongs, curled up on the sofa, sleeping. Oblivious to her condition. It's my job to keep her that way for as long as possible.

6 comments:

  1. Have you considered making your own dog food? I did a quick Google search for home made low-protein dog food and found a bunch of results that might be promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've emailed a friend of mine who feeds her Shelties a raw diet, has done for decades. A few years back she started working part time doing demos for a natural pet food company whose name escapes me. I asked her if her company makes a low-protein dog food that would be appropriate for a dog with a kidney condition, and if she had any ideas for making your own food.

    She feeds this company's product to her pets, but not exclusively. She gives them vegetables and fruits, eggs, some meat, all raw. She's a huge advocate for doing this instead of using most commercial pet foods. The acronym for this diet is (get this) BARF -- Biologically Appropriate Raw Food; though I've also seen it as Bones And Raw Food. I'll let you know what she says. I'm waiting for her to say it's OK before I give you her email address. I think she'd be a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read about this! We lost our 10 year old LuLu last June to kidney failure and I know what you are going through. We first learned of her kidney issues almost two years before. She actually acted pretty normal up until the very end... she just had issues with incontinence (we made her wear diaper when roaming around the house)and dry heaving. The food is ridiculously expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody. --V I have heard of the BARF diet in the past. I have been afraid to try it without someones help. If she agrees to contact me that would be great. I certainly wouldn't mind cooking (or in the case of RAW, not cooking :-) ) for these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry this is going on. I would try cooking for her or even a aw food diet. I have done this with Miss Sadie and the turn around she is having is awesome. I kind of came up with my own recipe and cook it every three days as she does not like raw food. I know crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not crazy Jewels. I'd be interested in your recipe for her. I am also exploring a raw diet at this time too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.