Psalm 23:4 - Pit Bull Translation

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for I am the baddest dog in the valley"

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My dogs

When I was a kid I had a Great Dane. She was big, black, and beautiful. Like most Great Danes she didn't live long enough. She passed away at 7, much too young. I loved her and she saved my life, twice. I owe a debt to dogs that can never be repaid, but I'm trying.

You've met Mickey and Malka but two other dogs have played a large part in my adult life and I'd like to introduce you to them.

This is Rusty. He is the only dog I have ever raised from a puppy. He holds a very special place in my heart. He has been gone almost two years and I still think about him every day.


















This is Molly. Her first family had a huge breakdown. Her owner went to prison (for some pretty horrible stuff) and his wife fell apart and was unable to care for her. She was 10 years old and had surgery for cancer. She was grossly overweight and they thought she had severe arthritis. None of the rescues wanted her because of her age and the cancer. Lets face it they only have so much room. She was going to wind up at the SPCA (which around here is a kill shelter) and with her age and history she didn't stand a chance. So I worked on The Engineer and he agreed we could take her. She was an absolute sweetheart. We got her down to a reasonable weight and lo and behold her "arthritis" went away. She made the last few years of Rusty's life wonderful. They became inseparable. She lived 3 1/2 years after we got her. It was very hard losing her after such a short time but knowing how happy she was with us made it worth it.



This is how they spent most of their time. It was rare to find them seperated. Molly passed away at home while laying on the floor next to Rusty. After she died he was lost for a long time. Malka came along and made that better for him.


**We did have another dog for a few months but we had to return him to the rescue. It was a very difficult time and I'll have to talk about him later.**

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of Molly in the dandelions. She was such a sweet girl.

    I completely understand why Rusty is so special. Raising him from puppyhood made him your "fur"st born. Strudel holds the same special spot for me.

    You know, it wasn't long after Stormy went back to the rescue that I THEN found that stupid training collar. Grrrrr. I looked all over for it and it was right under my nose the whole time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.