Psalm 23:4 - Pit Bull Translation

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for I am the baddest dog in the valley"

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Book Review-Shut Up

Shut Up, I'm Talking And Other Diplomacy Lessons I Learned in the Israeli Government.
by Gregory Levey

Hope you're not expecting something literary. Because you're not going to get it.

One word description: Downer

Before reading this book I always harbored a secret desire to live in Israel. Maybe not permanently but for at least a year or two for the experience. Now I'm not so sure. Of course the writers view was from a very different place than what I would see since he worked for the government and lived in the city. I can't see myself living in a city anywhere. I love visiting large cities but the large amount of people so close to each other constantly makes me claustrophobic. So you wouldn't find me living in the city anyway.

The book did give a lightweight insightful view of the government workings and how there are no easy answers in the Middle East.

The author has a negative view of his experience. This does not make for an easy read. I generally read for enjoyment so this was not the type of book I am used to but the subject was interesting enough to keep me going.

I got it from the library. This will not be a book I would be interested in reading again and again so I will not be purchasing this book.

Recommendation: If you're interested in the Middle East from a different point of view I would recommend reading it. If you're looking for a deep insiders view of the workings of the Israel government, this isn't the book.




1 comment:

  1. Don't stop wanting to live in Isreal, mom. just because the book was a downer. My hebrew scool teacher said it is a loveley place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.