Psalm 23:4 - Pit Bull Translation

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for I am the baddest dog in the valley"

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Book Review: Food Addiction: The Body Knows

Book Review-Food Addiction: The Body Knows by Kay Sheppard

Hope your not expecting something literary. Because you're not going to get it.

One word description: Helpful

I finished this book a couple of months ago. It was a short easy read. It is not OA approved literature. I just wanted to make that clear. But my sponsor recommended it early on to help me build a food plan. It gives a clear description of food addiction and the long term effects. I didn't identify with it the way I do with the Big Book but the information was clearly stated. It offers several variations of food plans depending on your needs.

One chapter towards the end of the book discusses relapse. I found this chapter immensely helpful. Relapse doesn't occur with the first bite. There are clear warning signals prior to picking up the food. The author lists them clearly but some of her suggestions and questions to ask yourself to avoid the relapse I felt were pretty lame and didn't really address the issues. If I recognized myself in that chapter I would immediately put it down and turn to the Big Book. When it comes to solution that's where the answers lay (or is it lie, this grammar rule will torment me till the day I die).

The book was a tremendous help for setting up a food plan and the chapter on relapse was worth the price of the book. I bought this book at the suggestion of my sponsor and would recommend it as a small part of someones library on food addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.